Thursday, August 16, 2012

Considering My Field

Proverbs 31:16

"She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard."

Going to work outside the home is not really an option for me and my family at this time. We've considered the possibility for several reasons, but our answer from God is always the same, "not right now". Even though I can't bring in extra money I thought, "why not try to reevaluate where our money is going now and make sure we are getting the most bang for our buck?" Eliot isn't the only one who can work out new savings plans :)

I've started with groceries and honestly, it's as far as I've gotten. I hope to brainstorm in the coming weeks and work out more, but for now...We are a family of four and our grocery budget includes formula for one and diapers for two. Yikes. One can only imagine how that works out... So last week I sat down and made a list of the top ten things I buy every week. Milk, eggs, ground beef, snacks for Harris and bread were on that list along with a few other things. I then decided to go do some price comparisons. We've been going to Publix since we moved here because it's across the street and I honestly didn't know how to get to Wal-Mart. I chose to go to Publix, Wal-Mart and a store called Aldi. I loaded up my kids and my list and away we went.

I was BLOWN AWAY at how much I had been paying for things at Publix. Now before the Publix army attacks, please hear me out: I LOVE shopping at Publix, it is a pleasure. However, at this stage in life, budgets are more important than my kid getting coloring books and a sweet lady chasing us down with cookies.

Aldi outdid Publix AND Wal Mart on our items. Like, big time. Just by purchasing our "Top Ten Items" at Aldi instead of Publix, we will save $40/month. Just on those ten items. That's not including all the other stuff I buy.

Aldi is a discount grocery store so there are a few things they do to make their food cheap. All of their food is off-brand so if you're picky about name-brand stuff you're out of luck. They don't provide any bags and they only have a limited staff working. You have to insert a quarter to a machine to get your shopping cart, but you get it back when you return the cart. This prevents them from having to hire people to gather carts. Their basic goal is to have as little overhead as possible. I'm ok with going without a few things to save money!!

Now, my goal is not to promote a certain grocery store. I would just like to encourage anyone reading this to take some time to find the best deals for your family! I'm not a Coupon Queen, it's just not my thing. I can't find a job making more money, Harris and Chandler pay what they pay and that's not changing. I can only get creative with what I have. I can CONSIDER my own "field" before I buy it!

So where have you found the best deals? How do you save money on groceries? Share your ideas!!

2 comments:

  1. Amazon mom subscribe and save-saves us a ton of money on diapers-i wish we had found it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now, to try to make a few extra bucks, I am selling things on facebook. It's easier than doing a yard sale. In a few weeks we hope to have a multi-family yard sale, but in the meantime I'm selling stuff online.

    I buy Natalie's clothes & shoes either at consignment or thrift stores. And flea markets. Yes, I've gotten several things for her at flea markets!

    I enter giveaways on blogs for free stuff. Yes, they are usually "luxury" items. I don't ever get free diapers or Walmart gift cards. ;-) But I do have a super cute wallet now, and I've gotten LOTS of other items from blog giveaways. If you enter enough of them, you're bound to win something eventually. ;-)

    Coupons for fast food. Arby's, for the most part. Last week we got Wendy's and McDonald's kids' meal coupons in the mail & I SQUEALED. Wendy's & McDonald's coupons are rare treats!

    If you are ok with eating venison, try to find someone who has a bunch that they don't want. We get a ton of free (lean!) meat and I hardly ever buy ground meat from the store!

    Cut back on cable. I know you already know that one so I won't expound. :-)

    Those are just a few things we do. Probably nothing new for you to hear, but it helps to share ideas anyway!

    ReplyDelete

The First Day of School, Butt-Shaped Fruit and The Crazy Train

How's Harris liking it?  I hear this question every single day. I love that people are interested/concerned about Harris and his opinio...