Thursday, March 24, 2011

Prayer and Petition

Confession time: 


While I was pregnant I was terrified about what would happen to my marriage after Harris was born. I had heard of so many marriages becoming troubled, spouses forgetting one another or the union simply splitting all together. Eliot was my best friend and the most wonderful man I had ever been around. We had been blessed with a wonderful relationship up to that point and the thought of that ending simply scared me to death. I began thinking of all the stress that would come with a baby and the lack of time we would have together. I know, I know...should have considered those things ahead of time. Too late though and there I was. Left with my fears and anxieties. Now, I know the Lord tells us not to be afraid and to give Him our worries but convincing a pregnant, hormonal basket case of those things was going to take some persuasion. 


Well, what do you do when you feel you have nowhere else to turn? Fall on your knees and pray that God will take care of you. You pray that He will protect you, your marriage and your whole family.  So I got busy! I prayed lots of prayers while I was waiting on little Harris but the one I prayed almost daily was that God would make me enough woman to be wife to Eliot and mommy to Harris and neither would ever feel neglected. I prayed that He would enable me to meet both of their needs and I would have the strength do those things with joy. I also prayed that God would strengthen our marriage and make it a blessing not only to us but to Harris and others, as well. 


What came after Harris was born was mind-blowing. It shouldn't have been since I know God's mercy and grace. I know Romans 8:28 and remind myself of it daily. Nevertheless, the Lord never ceases to amaze me. 


Not only did our marriage withstand the first few months but I have found myself feeling closer to Eliot now more than ever. We have discovered  new meanings of words like "partnership", "submission" and "teamwork". We have learned to be selfless with one another and to show one another grace when we are less than lovable. I have also learned new meanings of the word "love". There is nothing like seeing your husband become a father...and doing it SO well. I have learned new meanings of the word "respect" through watching Eliot not only be husband and father to us but also a full-time employee and a student in a MBA program. He has so much on his plate but never complains. Never. That encourages me to press on and be strong when I'm having a bad day. I have never been more in love with him. 




I wouldn't dare give either of us the credit though...not for one second. I know the old Ash and Eliot and they would have a completely different view on life. It is truly astonishing what God CAN and WILL do in your life if you just ASK. He can turn a stressful, tiresome life into a beautiful view of who He is and how He loves us. 

~Philipians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. AMEN. DITTO. AGREED. How many times can I say it? I totally relate to this post! Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete

The First Day of School, Butt-Shaped Fruit and The Crazy Train

How's Harris liking it?  I hear this question every single day. I love that people are interested/concerned about Harris and his opinio...