Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Train Up A Child


I'm four weeks away from bringing another little miracle into our home. I can't believe that the Lord has blessed me in this way. We have a beautiful, healthy baby boy and we will now have a daughter. I've been beyond excited about having a girl since we first found out. What woman doesn't want to have a little girl to dress up and put bows in her hair? I can't imagine what my love for this little girl will be like because I know it will be totally different than the love I have for my sweet Harris. Something new has begun to sit on my heart though and I'm praying that God will answer my questions.

I have felt like Harris becoming a man has been Eliot's job. Sure, its my job to teach him about God and the things that the Lord requires of him. Its my job to teach him to be polite, mannerly, obedient and to not pick his nose or laugh when he passes gas. Its my job to HOPEFULLY show him the type of woman God desires for him BUT the meat of things belongs to Eliot. Eliot is the one to teach him about caring for his family and working hard to support his family. Eliot will teach him the value of respecting women and treating his future wife the way Christ treats His church. Eliot will have to teach him to throw a baseball and the best wrestling moves (not because that's a "man's job" but because I'm about as athletic as a dishrag). I have watched my precious husband begin all of these things over the last 19 months and I am in awe of him. He has committed to teaching and mentoring our son the way God has called him to do.

Here's where I come in: Now we have a little GIRL on the way. Eliot will have to teach her that a man is to respect her. He will teach her how to guard her heart in Christ and he will teach her discipline. He will most certainly show her what it means to be spoiled rotten because I know I adore my dad in every sense of the word. He will HOPEFULLY show her the type of man God desires for her. However, as in the case of Harris, the meat of things belongs to me. I will have to show her what a Godly woman looks like. I don't want to show her what a worldly woman looks like or even a successful woman (according to the world) looks like. No,  I want her to see God in me. I think about the Godly women in my life and how they influence my thoughts and actions and I want Chandler to grow up one day and think "I'm so glad my mom taught me______!" All of these things put pressure on me!

I've begun to prepare my mind for these things and asking for God's guidance. I have started to pray that God will teach her through me and that I won't have to rely on my weak human state to do anything! I pray that both of my children will see the Lord in their parents and through their actions learn what the Lord desires for their lives. I'm so thankful that I can take my worries and thoughts to God with faith that He will provide the way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Day of School, Butt-Shaped Fruit and The Crazy Train

How's Harris liking it?  I hear this question every single day. I love that people are interested/concerned about Harris and his opinio...