Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Need Some Cheese With That Whine???

I need to whine. I'm so tired today. Not necessarily sleepy, just mentally and physically tired. It has been one of those days. You know the kind...you wake up and think it is going to be a great day and it is until the afternoon nap rolls around. When said nap ends the baby wakes up completely irate that I've somehow tricked him into sleep. He proceeds to punish me for the remainder of the afternoon by screaming and spitting green beans at me. This is after I attempt a shower in which he pulls the curtain back and cries so terribly I have to cut the shower short. Very short. I don't think I washed the conditioner out of my hair...Greasy hair anyone? I have eaten microwave eggs for lunch and dinner simply because taking time to cut up chicken and cook dinner was not in the stars. I. Am. Tired. 

All the while, my mind is racing. I'm not worried or anxious about anything I just can't seem to put everything in order. This morning during my 5 minute "quiet time" I began feeling guilty because I don't feel as though there is much scheduled time in my day for God. I feed Harris and myself. I change diapers and try to take showers. I let Emmie out and I let her back in. I play with baby toys and check Facebook on my cellphone. Where is my mission??? 

Then it hit me! THIS is my mission. This crazy day and all of the silliness that goes into it is my mission. A very wise friend, Hilary Gresham, told me when I was pregnant that raising Harris would be the most important mission in my life. I've remembered that and I think about it but I haven't really applied that to everyday. What does this mission look like? Pretty sure it isn't showing Harris my frustrations and huffing and puffing. I also feel confident it isn't whining to Eliot. No, I think my mission is something much better than those things. 

Colossians 3:23 says that I am to work at everything as though working for the Lord, not for men (or baby for these purposes) Would I have these negative attitudes with God? Nope. Definitely not! Would I complain that I didn't get enough down time to HIM? Prrrrobably not!! I have the privilege and honor of being the first person Harris sees God through. WOW. That is a huge mission and wonderful responsibility. It is my job to show Harris joy and love and patience and kindness and every other wonderful thing that we are given through the Holy Spirit. It is a challenge that I haven't really taken seriously. So tonight I will go to bed. I will recharge and rest. I will rinse conditioner out of my hair and brush my teeth. Tomorrow I will show up and face my ventures head on! 


~Colossians 3:17~
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, sister. Amen. And the title of your blog is PERFECT, BTW. It's so hard for us mommies to find this so-called "balance" in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I needed to read this...No baby, but still trying to find balance...you teach me every time I read your blog...Love you! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

The First Day of School, Butt-Shaped Fruit and The Crazy Train

How's Harris liking it?  I hear this question every single day. I love that people are interested/concerned about Harris and his opinio...